Monday, June 20, 2011

what does networking mean in real life


What does 'networking' mean in real life? It has become a term that turns my stomach. But for a few, I have only seen Fakes, Frauds, Fronters, Idea thieves, and social leaches use the word ... so WHAT does it really mean? I dont get it.

Im from a old school cold call business background in research and development. When I want to talk to someone I call them and ask for a few minutes of their time, I dont make friends with all their friends so I can drop names when I get to them either. I just pick up the phone.

I thought networking was a way to bring people on board for potential projects; (working together is to me the most fun when getting to know people)ah, the faults of a solid work ethic and honest approach.

Being in 'corporate introductions' that means Im accustomed to getting paid to actually introduce people to the ones they want to talk to. My job is to call and ask them to meet you and give them a good reason why I think they should in about 60 seconds and convince them to give my client an hour or more of their time.
This 'new world' order of 'networking' reminds me of the times girls wanted to date guys they couldnt get near, (mainly my brothers) so they pretended to be my friend.
Is networking as unethical as that?

"Networking" of today reminds me of the times I was out on a date, and some, (albeit good looking) man would come by and slip his phone number to me behind my dates back. Is networking really as sleazy as that?

Last week someone added me as a friend to a 'social networking site' I contacted the person directly and asked how I could help them. "Im just networking" was the reply.
Oh, I answered. Do you have a projected you think I would be interested in, or is there someone else you would like me to introduce you to?" was my reply.

Forget it! was the answer I got, with a soliloquies about how he had never had so many questions from a contact, and my inexperience with 'NETWORKING' was evident.

Please post your comments and ideas as I am earnestly seeking to understand this 'New World" term.

gracias
lucyd

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers